Tuesday 3 September 2013

Day 7. 31 August. Kep to Phnom Penh 155ks

155k and she's all over. 1,100 large Cambodian kilometers. Rounded thats 160k a day.

First 60k on trails then almost 100 k's on the road. We had the wind behind for the whole day - very sexy.
Fabulous day for lots of reasons.
There was a crowd to greet us at the hospital site. I love a cliche as much as the next superstar and it was undoubtedly emotional coming down the stretch. 
Relief, excitement, admiration for my teammates and the cause we were all involved in. 
Yesterday there was zero chance I'd be back, today there's almost no chance I won't be. I'd also like it to start next Monday. It's so much fun doing something that absolutely consumes you.

This is what we did it for
One can of diet coke. That can't be right.

Sorry, wrong picture.., this is what we did it for...

This is the site where the hospital is under construction. There's several hundred piles in the ground right now of 1200 or so that are going in. 

Quite a bit happened over the last couple of days. Im going to throw in a couple of supplementary posts to round this experience out. The next post will be up tomorrow where I'll be allocating some excellence in sport awards for my teammates. I'm also going to cobble together a "lessons learnt" specail report earmarked for the day after.

 I'm cheering up by the minute now so I've targeted that post or the post after as my official return date to being funny.

Leaving that subject aside for a bit I'd nudged it up to around 109 well put together kegsin the few days before leaving. Yesterday..

Whilst we all talked about "leaving a mark" in this country none of us were quite prepared for just how seriously Johnny Harris was going to approach that mission statement. With only a couple of k's left and with dignitaries and vip's in tow in the city of Phnom Penh itself we came across some rare roadworks. To be fair to Johnny there wasn't much in the way of orange bunting or blokes with signs. Seeing a chance to medal JH has taken the inside line, taking out a couple of pedestrians in the process but more importantly getting himself precisely into the middle of 500 m of wet concrete. With that he's cranked it up again! I assumed he was scampering off to a Cambodian equivalent of a Bunnings to buy a trowel to commence reparation exercises and possibly rebuild some trust. Turns out he was simply fucking off as fast as he could. Clever.

Until tomorrow.








No comments:

Post a Comment