Monday 9 September 2013

That's a wrap.


“Remember how it all began,
The apple and the fall of man”.
Natalie Merchant.

There’s a lot of great songs out there. Every few years a song comes your way that you fall in love with. Not necessarily a new song – just new to you.

The song I can’t stop playing right at the moment is Long Nights by Eddie Vedder. Download it. EV is great mates with Neil Finn and tours with him etc. Here’s something I heard that made me think differently about Paul McCartney - who I always thought was a complete cock. He was asked what it was like to be the greatest singer/songwriter in history. I don’t know he said – you’d have to ask Neil Finn. That’s a world class response for mine.

McCartneys ex missus Heather Mills is trying to qualify for the next Winter Paralympics in 2014 – she’s currently 45 – how large is she. She sounds like an absolute loon but in some strange fashion I think she’d likely feature in a global 100 hottest women in their 40’s list.

Turning my attention to goings on in West Perth I caught up with Johnny Harris today – he’s done 18 marathons and 2 ironmen. He ranks this ride up there as beyond any of that. Telling.

Johnny left the dinner @ 7.50pm on the Saturday night we finished - as his mouth was so blistered and sore he had to get to a chemist to get a local anaesthetic.! Fordys wife Sharon and Mat both gave me a saline solution to try and get my eyes under control as otherwise I wasn’t going to go to the dinner myself. I saw a picture of JH and myself on that night. We are normally both fairly handsome roosters (well Johnny H is  - think Mark Wahlberg 10 or 15 years on) and I don’t think I’ve seen two blokes looking worse.  

Ok – for anyone who  read the title to this post - this is going to be the last post in the current series.

 I really enjoyed the trip and I really enjoyed rolling this stuff out.

The cycling was a little more difficult than I thought it was going to be –  the satisfaction grimmer , but more of it than I perhaps anticipated also. I’m really quite excited about doing it again next year but also casting about for something in the near term.

Whilst I got through an ironman in December 2011 the training has left me with several hairline fractures in the lower back - so can’t run more than a k or so without losing feeling in my feet. There’s no easy or elegant surgery solution. The challenge is that a lot of endurance events require running  - plus  I was a  better runner than I am a cyclist.

So the plan now is to cast around for another event that fits in with my aging and deteriorating physical skill set. I'm really keen to do something ambitious beyond ambitious.

To the blog itself - I got quite a bit of feedback – really quite supportive and generous. Thx to my neighbour Jack who helped me get started – to say I’m shit with this interwebs stuff would still be bigging myself up. 

If the next event warrants it on a couple of levels I’m going to fire up the blog again. Here is my email address. If you think you may want to follow me  again - email me - I’ll keep a distribution list and give you a notification when the next event kicks off.

johnquinn@yourclaim.com.au

I’m going to leave you  with something from Oscar Wilde;  
For most of us the real life is the life we do not lead.

There’s perhaps a temptation to view that quote in a secret sex pest light but I think it would be selling it's intention short. I’ve thought about that quote on more than one occasion over the years.
The best I’ve arrived at is that we need to give some time to our own script, own it and make it happen.
 
Thanks for your company   

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment