Tuesday 27 August 2013

Day 3, Krakor to Phnom Penh. 155klms

Where to start.

It wouldn't surprise anyone if I was to say you see different things over here. Markedly different and lots of examples of some quite ingenious thinking. Today I saw three people on a scooter ( nothing unusual so far) but the lady up the back was holding a saline bag up above her head with the drip feeding into her elderly mother sitting in the middle. 
If I wasn't sitting on 45 klms per hour I'd have whipped out my iPhone. I and we didn't go close to that speed today. I think we were between 23 and 24 for day. The slowest avg of any ride I've ever done but one of the hardest. I still can't work out what's different..,



I've got a bit of heat stroke or sun stroke so have scuttled off to the room. 
My two roommates have been Matty Talbot who's a force of nature and Bruce Ford. Two of life's genuinely excessive characters, limited to only the positive connotations of that description. They both get a bit thirsty on a hot day. Trying to get out of having a beer with those two gentlemen tonight will be harder than today's ride.

Something I haven't mentioned Is that another guy doing the ride is a guy called John Harris. I briefly worked with John in 1990 or thereabouts, not long after getting to Australia and here he's popped up again. Only two people from Perth and it's him and I. He's got a great mate of his along - Steve Jones - who was one of the three that did the ride last year and unsurprisingly he's just a jet as well.
I hope it's just the sunstroke but I'm finding this ride a little tougher than I'd anticipated. I'm also getting less funny by the day. When I got here I was officially the 7th funniest bloke in Perth. I'd be lucky to crack the top 1000 in Siam Reap as things currently stand. Hopefully life's back to normal tomorrow on both the cycling and the comedy circuit. 

It's 7.17. Time to Viber the family, brush the molars and kip really quite hard.






1 comment:

  1. We tried that saline thing with Mum on the way back from Portugal. Worked a treat...
    Love you a lot. Stay well!
    x

    ReplyDelete