Friday 30 August 2013

Day 6 Sihanoukville to Kep 133 k's


Shortest day on the bike today. Jill had rung ahead and organized seven massuesses from our and a neighbouring hotel. 

Dived in the pool, got clean had a massage and then took these photos from our hotel. 



All the above, it's Jillls  birthday and it's the last days riding tomorrow, that's 1,2,3...  and action. The guides had organized a cake.

A little about the Nannes on tour,Jill Frank and Kain. They are like the Swiss family Robinson (Franks side) meets a Midwestern homecoming queen and has kids. The most photogenic family presently in Cambodia. 25 years between them and riding behind Frank and Kain u had to check for the elastic blue knee brace to differentiate between the two of them.
Ironically it was Kain (son) with the brace.

Seven days Jill was in the vans keeping everyone fed, watered and their sunnies cleaned and dried (impossible to do yourself when u are constantly drenched)
keeping everyone calm and encouraged.
If its possible to have a crush on a family they're it.

This is the bike Ramone, one of our guides was riding on the tour.



I'll cry if I try and comment about that bike and everything it tells me about this world. Let me just say that Ramone and Rith (another guide) themselves are two of the gentlest , warmest young men you could meet. 
There's a different projection to their voices and I was only to willing to do what Rith asked me to do. It's a voice tone I've never heard before and I envied it.These guys in their twenties ( ramone barely) but are very aware of the hospital and are so sincere in their appreciation of what it means for their country that  it will make it hard not to come back next year.

I've been alternating between rooming with Fordy and Matty. I was in with Matty tonight. He's contributed so much. He turned up like a one man camera crew started pedaling at about 120 rpm and hasn't taken his foot off the accelerator since. I've got a bit of a crush on  him just quietly also. Whilst I'm pretty clear in my feelings he has terrorized half of Cambodia charging into roadside houses with his own roll of toilet paper in his mankini bib shorts - he's special. 

It's all happening with a rush.

I'm planning on getting the last days blog done as quickly as possible, then a supplementary overview analysis report ....what???

Fordy had five beers at lunch btw and was never out of first place from there til the finish. I'm having none , have had 11 actual chucks so far and am in Joeys ear each night about how tough it is and how unfair a place the world can be. My whining has gotten so monotonous she gives me exactly 90 seconds then tells me another calls coming in and she has to take it. 

Ok peeps let me get some rest.





1 comment:

  1. Flattering comments John! Will forward your blog. I see you are having 2nd thoughts about next year... Frank

    ReplyDelete